Shane  Coxworth

Shane Coxworth

REALTOR®

Coldwell Banker - R.M.R. Real Estate, Brokerage*

Mobile:
905-903-7965 or 416-500-6377
Office:
905-852-4338
Toll Free:
866-666-2696
Email Me

We Look Back Wednesday's | Uxbridge's History | The Bascom House/Hotel

THE BASCOM HOUSE / HOTEL

The above photo (date unknown) shows the Bascom House when it was operated as a hotel. Photo Credit: Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten

 

Photo Credit: Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten

 

The Bascom House was built in 1884 on the north side of Brock Street right where Bascom Street meets Brock Street.   It was used as a hotel until 1920 when it was sold to Harold Cave, the owner of The North Ontario Times.  Mr. Cave moved his offices and printing machines into his newly aquired building.  In 1930 he then purchased the Uxbridge Journal and combined the two papers to form the Uxbridge Times-Journal.  The Uxbridge Times-Journal ran out of this building until it was moved to a brand new location at 20 Bascom Street in November, 1957 (now the home of Chances Are).

The above photo courtesy of Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten shows the building in 1954 when it was the home of the Uxbridge Times-Journal.

 

After the Uxbridge Times-Journal moved out the Bascom House sat empty until it was purchased by Jack and Evelyn Morrison who then opened a restaurant on the main level called Evelyn’s Grill.  In 1960 Jack and Evelyn then opened Hotel Evelyn with four rooms on the second floor.

 

Jack and Evelyn Morrison (shown above) where the owners of the Hotel Evelyn and Evelyn's Grill. Photo courtesy of Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten

 

Photo Credit: Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten

 

Over the years other businesses have come and gone.   

Now the upper floor is divided into apartments and the main level houses two retail locations.

 

The Bascom House/Hotel as it is seen today.  Photo was taken in January 2023

 

Heritage Uxbridge plaque on the outside of the building.

 

Source and Photo Credits:

Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten

Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten

Hot Off The Press - History of Print - Uxbridge/Port Perry by: J. Peter Hvidsten

Have Questions?

You hereby consent to receive calls or texts messages from www.shanecoxworth.com. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the UNSUBSCRIBE link in the email or by replying "UNSUBSCRIBE" to the text message.