Presbyterian Church Manse
The above photo was taken in 2021
Joseph Gould, an early town founder, owned and developed most of the west side of the town. His home was on the site of the current township offices. It is assumed that he built this house in 1875 for his daughter Elizabeth (Libby) who had married the Presbyterian Minister Reverend Edward Cockburn. Reverend Cockburn was Minister of the Chalmers Church in Uxbridge and the St. Paul’s Church in Leaskdale. In 1881 the house became the manse and remained a manse until 1981. The manse was often where marriages were held. In the 1920’s, Reverend Ewan MacDonald, husband of Lucy Maude Montgomery, would visit the Uxbridge Presbyterian Minister at this manse.
The above was taken from the Uxbridge Walking Tour Brochure which can be found here
The house was last purchased in 2017 and since then has had an addition on the rear, an attached garage on the left of the building and a circular driveway have been added.